Jacobite Queen at Caledonian Canal Inverness Scotland
1,000 views on 18th July 2012
The Jacobite Queen - seen here at her home berth at Tomnahurich Bridge, Inverness - is flagship of Jacobite Cruises, which provide pleasure trips down the Caledonian Canal and on into Loch Ness.
The Tomnahurich - or Millerton - Swing Bridge behind the boat carries the A82 Inverness-Fort William-Glasgow trunk road over the Canal, one of two road bridges over the Canal in Inverness.
Behind the bridge is Tomnahurich (Hill of the Fairies) which until recently was Inverness's main cemetery. There are graves right the way to the top, but the facility is now full and a new graveyard (and crematorium) has been established further out the A82.
Jacobite Queen:- "Built in 1949 by R.W. Hawthorn Leslie at Hebburn on Tyne and named Tyne Queen, she served as a passenger ferry on the Tyne until 1986. In 1987 she was acquired by Jacobite Cruises and rebuilt with the traditional lines of a small steamer. There is accommodation on three decks, all recently upgraded with central heating and double glazing, giving up to 159 passengers ample choice of covered or on deck seating. The 450HP Volvo D12 diesel engine gives this 23-metre vessel a service speed of 10.5 knots. "