flickr-free-ic3d pan white

Inverness Castle and River Ness Scotland

5,000 views on 31st August 2013

 

4,000 views on 21st August 2011

 

3,000 views on 26th November 2010

 

2,000 views on 22nd December 2009

 

1,000 views on 03rd January 2009 - many thanks to all for your interest!

---------------------------------------

 

As well as being the best known landmark of the city of Inverness, Shown here looking from the West side of the River Ness, the Castle has several other claims to fame, some of which can be learned from:

 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverness_Castle

 

My purpose however in uploading this photograph is to highlight the fact that this was first Police Station in the the Highlands of Scotland. The earliest part of the current building dates from 1836, and was the location of the Inverness County Council and (still is) Inverness Sheriff Court. So there could be no more appropriate place to base the Inverness-shire County Police when it was set up in 1840.

 

The building was subsequently extended and most of that newer section (to the left) was occupied by the Police Force as its Headquarters until the County police merged with Inverness Burgh Police in 1968.

 

The combined Force (Inverness Constabulary) contrinued to use it as Headquarters until 1975 when it re-located to the (then new) Police Headquarters at Old Perth Road, Inverness. This was a matter of months before that force ceased to exist, becoming part of Northern Constabulary on 16 May 1976.

 

A police office remained in The Castle, serving the courts and housing other Departments, until the late 1990's when new police accommodation at Old Perth Road (version 2) and elsewhere in Inverness was provided.

 

There can be few more imposing or picturesque Police Stations ANYWHERE!!

 

NOTE: This photograph was taken from the street named Ness Walk, and the stret in front of the retaining wall beneath the Castle is Castle Road.

17,180 views
18 faves
43 comments
Taken on October 14, 2005