School teacher standing at the blackboard.
Question: If there is no telescope, how can you ensure a child with low vision can access the information on the blackboard?
• The teacher can place the child with low vision as close to the blackboard as possible
• The teacher can ensure good contrast on the blackboard by cleaning it regularly, writing in a larger size, where possible, and organising the text clearly
• The teacher can say what she writes while she is writing it
• The child with low vision can copy from her friend’s notebook
• A friend can say the words on the board so the child with low vision can hear and write them down.
© David de Wit.
Published in: Community Eye Health Journal Vol. 25 No. 77 2012 www.cehjournal.org