new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Original stone foundations | by CoDiFi
Back to photostream

Original stone foundations

Representation of site's original chapel from 1784 that lies next to the Archaeological Lab.



Photo by: Connor Rowe


Image name: RET_SFPresidio_080211_CanonT2i_009_JPG


Original filename: IMG_009



This photograph is a part of collection that was produced by Erica Pallo and Connor Rowe in order to chronicle the course activities of the students of UC Berkeley Summer 2011 Anthropology 136E class, under the direction of professors Ruth Tringham and Michael Ashley, as they digitally document and interpret the cultural heritage of El Presidio de San Francisco (the Presidio of San Francisco) from the 18th to the early 19th Centuries. To see this collection go to:


The purpose of the course is to focus on the real world challenge of documenting archaeological places through the creation of interpretive walks and non-invasive site installations, specifically at the Presidio of San Francisco. The course focuses on the tangible remains and documents of the past, but also the intangible heritage in the form of memories, knowledge, performance, and skills of the past of the San Francisco Presidio and El Polin Spring (Tennessee Hollow Watershed).


The course involves the design, field trial, and documentation of these different formats of representation of cultural heritage places, with an emphasis on practical digital field recording combined with geo-temporal databases. The aim is to seek alternatives to permanent markers of information about places, and their tangible and intangible heritage, especially in sensitive sites, such as national or regional parks. The course takes advantage of the many specialists in these technologies in the Bay Area, especially the Presidio Archaeology Lab of the Presidio Trust, with whom the class has contact and who have offered to contribute their help to the course.


The San Francisco Presidio (37°47'N, 122°27'W) and surrounding areas (like the Mission Dolores) was a military-occupied fortification controlled by various empires/governments throughout history including Spain (1776-1821), Mexico (1822-1846), and the United States of America (1846-1994 as an Army post, with the ownership of the park to be fully transitioned to the National Park Service by 2013). Archaeological excavations began on the site in 1993 after development expansion projects unearthed parts of the original stone foundation of El Presidio's Spanish fort beneath the Funston Avenue Officers’ Quarters by archaeological consultants working for the the U.S. Army.


Photographs in this course's collection were shot between July 5-August 12, 2011 during the hours of 9am-4pm Pacific Time under a multitude of atmospheric conditions. Photos were captured on the following cameras: Apple iPhone 4 with an external lens device attached called the OWLE Bubo, Canon DSLR XSi/T2i, S95, Sony Cybershot, Canon Powershot. Lenses used include: Macro 60mm, Telephoto 70-200, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 17-85mm. A tripod was used for Gigapan, telephoto, and HDR shots. Various types of mobile phones were also used for documentation shots and Geo-tagging. The photos were post-processed in Apple iPhoto and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.


Description written by Erica Pallo with excerpts originally prepared by Ruth Tringham.


All photos Copyright ©2011 Center for Digital Archaeology, Berkeley CA, licensed under Creative Commons BY-NC 3.0 For more information, contact Center for Digital Archaeology, Berkeley, CA, 94720 or visit:


For more information about El Presidio de San Francisco, visit:, or the Presidio Archaeology Lab of the Presidio Trust at:



0 faves
Taken on August 2, 2011