Health Care Can't Wait!

    Newer Older

    Image from the Organizing for America Health Care Reform tour in Phoenix, Arizona Wednesday August 27, 2009. While there were very few media folks present, getting about 700 Arizonans out on a very hot night to show support for change was a great demonstration of social action in the face of strident opponents. Remember, 83% of Americans want health care reform, yet the media is concentrating on the photo ops and sound bites of the militant conservatives.

    1. cobalt123 69 months ago | reply

      I love this image, should be good for bloggers to use. Here is the first image from this set:

      Public Option!

    2. marksontok 69 months ago | reply

      83% of Americans want health care reform is far from a factual statement.

    3. cobalt123 69 months ago | reply

      "Poll Bankrolled By Foes Of Health Care Reform Finds Overwhelming Support For Public Plan"

      (NOTE: This is a June poll, bankrolled by an amazing group of NON-liberal companies!!!)

      A new poll by a nonpartisan, D.C.-based research group finds truly overwhelming support for the public option. The kicker: The poll was bankrolled partly by previous opponents of health care reform, including one of the nation’s best-known insurance companies.

      The poll — which was just released by the Employee Benefit Research Institute, a D.C. policy think tank — finds that a majority (53%) strongly back the availability of a public plan, while another 30% “somewhat” support it. That’s a total of 83% in favor of a public plan — a staggeringly large majority.

      Even more interesting, guess who paid for the poll? From the release:

      This survey was made possible with support from AARP, American Express, Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, Buck Consultants, Chevron, Deere & Company, IBM, Mercer, National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, Principal Financial Group, Schering-Plough Corp., Shell Oil Company, The Commonwealth Fund, and Towers Perrin.

      Not exactly a band of raging lefties. The American Association of Retired Persons and Blue Cross Blue Shield were among the opponents of HillaryCare in the 1990s.

      While the news in this poll is not uniformly good for Obama’s plan by any means, the public plan is the main focus of debate right now, and on this, the poll is unequivocal. What’s more, it’s backed up by the new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll, which finds that three in four think the public option is important.

    keyboard shortcuts: previous photo next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts