Curzon Hall meant to be a town hall, was named after Lord Curzon, the Viceroy of India, who laid its foundation in 1904. A year later Bengal was partitioned and Dhaka or Dacca as it was known then, became the capital of the newly created province of East Bengal and Assam. Following the annulment of partition in 1911 it was used as a premise of Dhaka College, and after the establishment of the University of Dhaka in 1921, became part of the university's science section and continues as such.
During the Language Movement, Curzon Hall was the location of significant events. In 1948, Mohammad Ali Jinnah declared Urdu to be the only state language of Pakistan. Students of Dhaka University opposed it and in Curzon Hall, they declared their opposition to Jinnah's planned about state language policy