Brussels, Belgium 102 - Parc du Cinquantenaire - Triumphal arch

Recommended View On Black, large - Recomendado Ver en Fondo Negro, grande

 

Most recent photos in black - Mis fotos más recientes en negro

 

The Parc du Cinquantenaire (French for "Park of the Fiftieth Anniversary"), Jubelpark (Dutch), or Jubilee Park (English) is an urban public park with a complex of 19th century buildings in the easternmost part of the European Quarter of Brussels, Belgium.

 

Most buildings of the horse-shoe shaped complex were commissioned by King Leopold II and built for the 1880 National Exhibition commemmorating the fiftieth anniversary of Belgian independence. The centrepiece triumphal arch was erected in 1905. The structures were built in iron, glass and stone, symbolising the economic and industrial performance of Belgium. The surrounding 30 hectare park esplanade was full of picturesque gardens, ponds and waterfalls. It hosted several housed trade fairs, exhibitions and festivals at the beginning of the century. This settled however in 1930 when it was decided that Cinquantenaire would become a leisure park

 

The Royal Military Museum has remained in the northern half of the complex since 1880, and is now accompanied by the Cinquantenaire Art Museum and AutoWorld Museum on the southern side of the arch. The Temple of Human Passions, a remainder from 1886, and the Great Mosque of Brussels from 1978 are located in the north-western corner of the park.

 

 

 

El Parc du Cinquantenaire (francés para "Parque del Cincuentenario"), Jubelpark (holandés), o Jubileo Park (Inglés) es un parque público urbano con un complejo de edificios del siglo 19 en la parte más oriental del barrio europeo de Bruselas, Bélgica.

 

La mayoría de los edificios del complejo en forma de herradura fueron encargados por el Rey Leopoldo II y construidos para la Exposición Nacional de 1880 que conmemoró el cincuentenario de la independencia de Bélgica. El elemento central es el Arco de Triunfo erigido en 1905. Las estructuras fueron construidas en hierro, vidrio y piedra, que simbolizan el progreso económico y rendimiento industrial de Bélgica. Las 30 hectáreas que rodean la explanada del parque estaban llenas de pintorescos jardines, estanques y cascadas. A principios de siglo XX fueron organizadas varias ferias comerciales, exposiciones y festivales. Esto se mantuvo hasta 1930 cuando se decidió que el Cinquantenaire se convertiría en un parque público.

 

El Real Museo Militar se ha mantenido en la mitad septentrional del complejo desde 1880, y ahora está acompañado por los Museos de Arte del Cincuentenario y el Autoworld en el lado sur del arco. El Templo de las Pasiones Humanas, un resto de 1886, y la Gran Mezquita de Bruselas de 1978 se encuentran en la esquina noroeste del parque.

Izakigur, Istvan and 31 more people faved this
12,989 views
33 faves
44 comments
Taken on May 11, 2008
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 5.2 mm
  • 1/640
  • 80
  • Flash (off, did not fire)
  • Show EXIF
This photo is in 5 albums

Additional info

  • Viewing this photo Public
  • Safety level of this photo Safe
  • S Search
    Photo navigation
    < > Thumbnail navigation
    Z Zoom
    B Back to context