new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Stockholm, Sweden 066 - Storkyrkan (eastern facade) | by Claudio.Ar
Back to album

Stockholm, Sweden 066 - Storkyrkan (eastern facade)

Recommended View On Black, large - Recomendado Ver en Fondo Negro, grande

 

Sankt Nikolai kyrka (Saint Nicolaus Church), most commonly known as Storkyrkan (The Great Church) is the oldest church in Gamla Stan, the old town in central Stockholm, Sweden. It is an important example of Swedish Brick Gothic. Situated next to the Royal Palace, it forms the western end of Slottsbacken, the major approach to the Royal Palace, while the streets Storkyrkobrinken, Högvaktsterrassen, and Trångsund passes north and west of it respectively. South of the church is the Stockholm Stock Exchange Building facing the Stortorget square and containing the Swedish Academy, Nobel Library, and Nobel Museum.

 

Storkyrkan was first mentioned in a written source dated 1279, and became a Lutheran Protestant church in 1527. The parish church since the Middle Ages of the Nikolai parish, covering the whole island on which the Old Town stands, it has also been the cathedral of Stockholm since the Diocese of Stockholm was broken out from the Archdiocese of Uppsala and the Diocese of Strängnäs in 1942. The last Swedish king to be crowned here was Oscar II in 1873.

 

The single-tower church is built of brick, covered in plaster and painted yellow with white details. It originates as a 13th century Gothic structure, but the exterior was substantially remodelled in Baroque style ca 1740 by the architect Johan Eberhard Carlberg.

 

The most famous of its treasures is the dramatic wooden statue of Saint George and the Dragon attributed to Bernt Notke (1489). The statue, commissioned to commemorate the Battle of Brunkeberg (1471), also serves as a reliquary, containing relics supposedly of Saint George and two other saints. A copy from the early 20th century is found on Österlånggatan just south of the church.

 

The church also contains a copy of the oldest known image of Stockholm, the painting Vädersolstavlan ("The Sun Dog Painting"), a 1632 copy of a lost original from 1535. The painting was commissioned by the scholar and reformer Olaus Petri, a 19th century statue of whom is found on the eastern side of the church. It depicts a halo display, e.g. sun dogs, which gives the painting its name and in the 16th century was interpreted as a presage.

  

La Catedral de Estocolmo, conocida en Suecia como Storkyrkan (literalmente Gran Iglesia) o Sankt Nikolai kyrka (Iglesia de San Nicolás), es la iglesia más antigua de Estocolmo y la sede de la diócesis de Estocolmo. Situada cerca del Palacio Real, conforma el extremo oeste de Slottsbacken, mientras las calles Storkyrkobrinken, Högvaktsterrassen, y Trångsund pasan al norte y oeste de ella respectivamente. Al sur de la iglesia está el edificio dela Bolsa de Estocolmo, que enfrenta a la plaza Stortorget y contiene a la Academia Sueca, la Biblioteca y el Museo Nobel.

 

La iglesia figura por primera vez en una fuente escrita en 1279. Tras la reforma protestante, se convirtió en una iglesia luterana en 1527. Se convirtió en catedral cuando se creó la diócesis de Estocolmo en 1942 a partir de las diócesis de Uppsala y de Strängnäs. El último Rey de Suecia en ser coronado allí, fue Oscar II en 1873.

 

La iglesia, de una sola torre, está construida de ladrillo repellado y pintados sus muros de amarillo con detalles en blanco. Su estilo original corresponde al gótico del siglo XIII, pero el exterior fue remodelado de manera importante en estilo barroco cerca de 1740 por el arquitecto Johan Eberhard Carlberg.

 

El más famoso de sus tesoros es la dramática imagen en madera de San Jorge y el dragón, presumiblemente del siglo XV y atribuida a Berndt Notke.La estatua fue encargada para conmemorar la batalla de Brunkeberg (1471), sirve de relicario, pues contiene unas supuestas reliquias de San Jorge y otros dos santos. Una copia de principios del siglo 20 está en Österlånggatan al lado sur de la iglesia.

 

Asimismo, la iglesia contiene una copia de la más antigua imagen conocida de Estocolmo, la Vädersolstavlan ("Pintura del Parhelio"), una copia de 1632 del original de 1535 que se perdió. La pintura fue encargada a Olaus Petri, de quién se halla una estatua del siglo 19 en el lado este de la iglesia La pintura muestra un halo solar, o parhelio, que le dá a la pintura su nombre y en el siglo 16 fue interpretada como un presagio.

    

80,697 views
24 faves
70 comments
Taken on May 10, 2008