new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Avro Lancaster B Mk.X KB786 - Strathallan Collection, 1976 | by fsll2
Back to photostream

Avro Lancaster B Mk.X KB786 - Strathallan Collection, 1976

From "Wikipedia":

Lancaster B X KB976 is Canadian built and was delivered to Britain in May 1945 but saw no action. Returned to Canada in June 1945, the aircraft was converted to Mk.10 (AR) specification, being struck off charge in 1964. Lancaster KB976 made the last official flight as an RCAF aircraft on 4 July 1964 at the Calgary International Air Show with F/L Lynn Garrison, as captain, and F/L Ralph Langemann as co-pilot. It is worth noting that neither Garrison nor Langemann had ever flown a Lancaster before, and Garrison had broken his ankle the night before this flight. Their historic flight was authorized personally by the then Minister of National Defence, Paul Hellyer, who flew to Calgary for the celebration. Garrison will be remembered for his oft-repeated comment, "If it has fuel and noise, I can fly it." Lynn Garrison then purchased KB976 from Crown Assets Disposal Corporation as an addition to his historic collection. He created the Air Museum of Canada in April 1964. Sold in 1974 to the Strathallan Collection in Scotland, KB976 was registered G-BCOH prior to being flown across the Atlantic and then statically displayed until 1987. Bought by collector Charles Church, the aircraft was moved to Woodford Aerodrome for restoration to airworthy condition, where the fuselage centre section was damaged in a hangar collapse. Another Canadian Lancaster, KB994, that had survived only as a fuselage, was sourced to replace the irreparably damaged parts of KB976. Sadly, Charles Church died in a flying accident soon after and the rebuild was abandoned. The aircraft and its replacement parts were later sold to Doug Arnold, before finally being bought by Kermit Weeks in 1992. KB976 has since been stored at his Fantasy of Flight museum in Florida awaiting restoration. The rear fuselage and rear gunner's position was salvaged from the wrecked original fuselage and is on display at the AeroVenture Museum in Doncaster, Yorkshire, UK. The original extended nose of KB976 has been built backwards into an authentic fuselage and cockpit by Jeremy Hall and is on display at Brookland's Museum in Weybridge, UK. The residue of parts from KB994 were stored in the UK before being sold to the Australian National Aviation Museum to assist in the restoration of Avro Lincoln RF342

1,431 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on August 3, 1976