La Rue Mills(1802)
Information from the plaque:
Billa LaRue was the only one of ten children to move to Canada. He left his home & family in Charlton, New York & settled on LaRue Island(now Hill Island) in 1790. As a United Empire Loyalist, he was able to obtain the entire island from the British Government for the purpose of harvesting the valuable timber.
He eventually owned about 1000 acres on the mainland & in 1802 he and his wife Abigail removed to the mouth of this creek. They built simple log home and a sawmill here as well as a lock. The lock enabled logs that had been rafted down from Hill Island to be floated up to his sawmill for cutting.
Later he added a gristmill further up the creek in a steep ravine where water flowed quickly providing strong power to turn the millstones.
The sawmill allowed Billa to build a new home(c.1807) of squared timbers that he called his "mansion home". This privately-owned home with a front porch added still stands solid to-day.
Billa hid the fortune he amassed somewhere on the property. While digging for the legendary treasure one dark night in 1881 the men's shovels struck a hard metallic object. Immediately they "felt a blast of icy cold air & looked up to see ghostly black cattle charging at them. The treasure was never found.
In 1860, Reuben Buell also built a mill a short distance up the creek from Billa's. About 1920, John Haws built a mill on the same site that ran for 40 years.