Fried tofu strips (02): cutlets sliced
Pan-Fried Tofu Strips
▶ Adapted from Cooking with the Vegan Zombie (!)
▶ Fininished and plated: here.
▶ More pix of procedure: here.
Yield: 12-16 strips
Time: 20 minutes (or overnight)
1) Horizontally slice a 14-ounce slab of extra-firm tofu into four thinner cutlets. (No need to press the tofu.)
2) Grease a skillet with a tablespoon of vegetable oil.
3) Set stove at medium heat.
4) Place tofu cutlets on the skillet (one at a time, if small pan). Top with a pinch each of Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
5) Pan-fry for 8-10 minutes. Don't burn!
6) Gently flip the tofu, Now, gently press down on the cutlets several times with a metal spatula to squeeze out excess water.
7) Top with a pinch each of cumin, chili powder, and dried basil. Optional: Add a doodle of red chile sauce, (e.g. Sriracha).
8) Reduce heat to just below medium heat. Pan-fry for an additional 3-5 minutes. Don't burn!
9) Gently flip the cutlets over again and turn off the skillet. Allow the cutlets to sit several minutes until room temperature.
10) Cover and refrigerate the tofu for several hours or overnight. Refrigeration firms up the texture. Slice the tofu into 4-5 strips per cutlet. Tasty as is, for snacking. Tasty in a vegetarian Bánh mì.
▶ Photo by Yours For Good Fermentables.com.
▶ For a larger image, type 'L' (without the quotation marks).
— Follow on Twitter: @Cizauskas.
— Follow on Facebook: YoursForGoodFermentables.
— Follow on Instagram: @tcizauskas.
▶ Camera: Olympus Pen E-PL1.