18 August 2016.
Based upon a recipe in
— by Gabriela Llamas (Quarry, 2016)
* 2 1/2 pounds tomatoes and their juices, seeded and chopped, plus diced tomatoes for garnish
* 1 small (3 1/2 ounces) seeded, chopped red bell pepper, plus diced red bell pepper for garnish
* 2/3 cup (about 3 ounces) peeled, chopped cucumber (seedless or seeded), plus diced cucumber for garnish
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 slice day-old bread (crusts removed), torn into small pieces, [plus small croutons for garnish, optional]
* 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt, or more as needed
* 1 1/2 tablespoons Jimenez or other good-quality Spanish sherry vinegar, or more as needed
* Small pinch ground cumin
* 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably picual olive oil, plus more for optional drizzling
▶ Combine the chopped tomatoes, red bell pepper, cucumber, garlic and bread, if using, in an earthenware or glass bowl. Add the salt, vinegar and cumin, if using, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least a few hours and preferably overnight.
▶ To make the soup the traditional way, mash all the ingredients in the bowl. Place a fine-mesh strainer over a separate bowl, then, working in batches, use a flexible spatula to push the mashed mixture, including its liquid, through the strainer. After you have extracted as much moisture as possible from the solids, discard them.
▶ Or place the marinated vegetables and their liquid in a high-powered blender and puree on the highest speed for about 1 1/2 minutes, then strain through a fine-mesh strainer. Discard the solids.
▶ Stir the oil into the strained gazpacho. Taste; add salt and/or vinegar, as needed. Transfer to an airtight container; refrigerate until ready to use.
▶ Serve chilled, with garnishes on the side -- diced tomato, cucumbers, onions, and red and green peppers. Drizzle with a little oil.
As quoted in Washington Post.
14 August 2016.
Photo by Yours For Good Fermentables.com.
— Follow on Twitter: @Cizauskas.
— Follow on Facebook: YoursForGoodFermentables.
— Follow on Instagram: @tcizauskas.
▶ Camera: Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge.