Historic Millard Canyon begins in the Angeles National Forest and ends at the Arroyo Seco in Altadena. The trails have been used by the public for millennia, beginning with the Native Americans who traveled seasonally through the canyon from the mountains to the plains along the Arroyo Seco and the Los Angeles River. In the 1820s, Millard Canyon was known as Church Canyon because the lumber to build La Placita Catholic Church was brought from the canyon to the original Pueblo de Los Angeles, the birth place of the City. Robert Owens, a slave who bought his freedom and moved to Millard Canyon around 1850, used local trails to get firewood and building materials down to the U.S. Army post near the Los Angeles harbor. Owen Brown, son of abolitionist John Brown, moved to Altadena after surviving his father's raid on a government arsenal at Harper's Ferry in Virginia in 1859. Owen Brown was buried on a peak overlooking Millard Canyon. A wealthy gated enclave now seeks to cut off public access to historic Millard Canyon trails by posting "No Tresspassing" signs, leading to a law suit by trail users.