El Pueblo Avila Adobe
The Avila Adobe, built in 1818, is the city’s oldest building and residence. Once home to Francisco Avila, one of the Pobladores and one of the alcaldes (mayors) of El Pueblo, and his family. Robert Stockton's military headquarters during the Mexican-American War in 1847. The residence fell into disrepair in the early 20th century. Christine Sterling restored the house and took up residence there in the 1920s. Today Avila Adobe is the site of a museum that captures pueblo life during the rancho period of the 1840s.