City of Stillwater > Collections

stillwater.org
(405) 372-0025
news@stillwater.org

The City of Stillwater is located at 723 S. Lewis St., in Payne County, in north central Oklahoma. It was incorporated in 1889 after the Unassigned Lands of the Oklahoma Territory were opened for homesteading with the first Land Run. By the end of the day, 240 acres had been claimed and designated as Stillwater township and a tent city with a population numbering 300 had sprung up on the prairie.

Today, the City of Stillwater operates under a council-manager system. In this form of government, an elected city council is responsible for making policy, passing ordinances and approving the city’s budget. City Council appoints the city manager, city attorney and municipal judge. Citizens are encouraged to be an active participant in local government.