The Old Talbott Tavern
The stone portion of the Talbott Tavern dates before 1790...probably built to serve as Salem Academy. The first owner of record about 1800, William Rose Hynes began to add brick wings to the stone part.
He started the tavern operation with the first license about 1805. It became known as the Hynes House, serving as a stage coach stop on the Louisville-Nashville Turnpike through the 19th century.
Another west side brick wing was added about 1840 and the resulting lobby area was enclosed by George Talbott in 1905.
During his tenure the Hynes House became the Talbott Tavern. It has now operated continuously for 200 years offering food, drink and lodging to travelers and guests from all over the world, both famous and commoner.