North Wales Farm (VA, US)
North Wales Farm (c. 1718, 1916-20)
Warrenton, VA

"In 1718, this significant historical property was granted by Lady Catherine Culpeper Fairfax to Ann Allason, the daughter of Capt. John Hooe, and her husband, William. Allason was a merchant whose business acumen and connections placed him in the respectful association of James Monroe, Fielding Lewis (George Washington's brother-in-law and the great uncle of the explorer of America's west Meriwether Lewis), and finally was friends with Lords Fairfax and Dunsmore.

Between 1776 and the early 1780’s, the Allasons lived in Falmouth, Virginia, but commuted to their "summer retreat" while they built the original five-bay Georgian-style stone house for a cost of $1,500, placing it in the 10 most valuable residences in the County. North Wales remains the earliest known example of four-story stone construction in Fauquier County and remained in the original family for six generations until the early twentieth-century. In 1914, Edward M. Weld, a Harvard educated Wall Street broker and President of the New York Cotton exchange, followed friends to the South in search of the expanses of open space required for fox hunting. Upon acquiring the estate, Weld, an avid horseman, began the transformation of North Wales into an equestrian estate, adding the carriage house, the large equestrian center, tenant houses, a Dutch Colonial Revival-style house and stables to the property. In 1916, Weld, with the aid of Arthur Little and Herbert Browne, leading architects of the period from Boston, added wings and porticos to the manor house as well as constructed the two-story stone carriage house, both designed in the Colonial Revival-style of architecture and resulted in the current five part Palladian plan. Little and Browne were also responsible for providing extensive landscaping and interior design to the manor house.

In 1929, the property was sold to Robert C. Winmill, neighbor and owner of the adjacent Clovelly estate, who convinced forty men, mostly from New York, to pay $5,000 each to use the property as a private club for sportsmen for shooting, foxhunting and general socializing. In 1941, Walter P. Chrysler, Jr., son of auto magnate and founder of Chrysler Corporation's Air-Temp division, purchased the property. Chrysler, an industrialist, scholar and art collector, used the paneled walls of the manor home as a backdrop for one of the most important collections of Expressionistic art in the country with works by Picasso, Braque and Impressionists Degas and Matisse. Chrysler took advantage of the equestrian improvements on the property to breed thoroughbred horses. Chrysler added a small conservatory to the home for his mother's orchids and otherwise maintained the home and other improvements in impeccable condition. Chrysler sold the farm in 1957 to former Oklahoma Congressman Victor Wickersham because, "Virginia did not have pari-mutual racing." It was held for development until the current owners acquired it in 1996. Under their direction, the estate was placed under easement with the Virginia Outdoors Foundation and the improvements have been thoroughly and painstakingly returned to their former glory, with meticulous attention paid to even the smallest details. The farm today is kept in a high state of near perfection and is beautifully maintained.

In 1999, North Wales was listed on The Virginia Landmarks Register and on the National Register of Historic Places."

From the following brochure, where you can also see floor plans:

mcleanfaulconer.com/uploads/propertylisting_additional_fi...

For the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form: www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Counties/Fauquier/030-0093...
16 photos · 1,822 views