Jack and Jill
Jack and Jill Windmills
Two mills can be found high on the South Downs above Clayton, one called Jack and the other called Jill, they live on the line of the South Downs Way.
Jill (in the foreground) dates from 1821 and is a white post mill. She was originally located at Brighton, but in 1852 was moved here by a team of oxen.
Jack (in the background) was built on the site in 1866 and replaced
another post mill, which dated from 1765.
This is the only pair of mills together remaining in Sussex