At Whangarei Falls, the Hatea River drops 26 metres (85 ft) over a basalt lava flow. There are walkways around the falls and along the river. The falls were originally known as Otuihau, and have been a picnic spot since at least the 1890s. In the 1920s, the land was bought by Archibald Clapham (of Clapham's Clocks) to prevent commercial exploitation of the falls. The Whangarei Businessmen's Association raised funds in 1946 to buy the land on behalf of the citizens of the town.