Weltenburg Abbey and its Refection at the River Danube
Weltenburg Abbey (Kloster Weltenburg) is a Benedictine monastery in Weltenburg in Kelheim on the Danube in Bavaria, Germany.
The abbey is situated on a peninsula in the Danube, on the so-called "Weltenburg Narrows" or the "Danube Gorge". The monastery, founded by Irish or Scottish monks in about 620, is held to be the oldest monastery in Bavaria.
The monastery courtyard is surrounded by Baroque buildings, the highlight of which is the abbey church, dedicated to Saint George, which was built by the Asam Brothers between 1716 and 1739.
The abbey was dissolved in 1803 during the secularization of Bavaria.
On 25 August 1842 Weltenburg was re-founded as a priory of Metten Abbey. It has been a member of the Bavarian Congregation of the Benedictine Confederation since 1858 and was raised to the status of an independent abbey in 1913.
Besides the traditional duties of hospitality, the abbey has pastoral responsibility for four parishes.