Silk satin, silk ribbon, handmade "Point de Gaze" lace
Charles Frederick Worth and Otto Bobergh founded Worth & Bobergh in Paris in the fall of 1857 or 1858. In 1860, the business appeared in the local trade directory under “couturiers et nouveautés confectionnées” (designers and prepared novelties). By the 1870s, Bobergh was no longer involved with the company, and the House of Worth was well established as the arbiter of fashionable dress.
This gown is one of more than 60 couture pieces featured in the exhibition Chic Chicago: Couture Treasures from the Chicago History Museum.