Van Allen Department Store (1913-15)
200 5th Avenue South
Architect: Louis Sullivan
A smaller version of Sullivan's Carson, Pirie, Scott Building in Chicago, this structure also paves the way for some of his later banks with rich projecting terra cotta ornamentation against a plain horizontal brick surface. Mr. Van Allen's granddaughter described how Mr. Sullivan would sit on a keg of nails across the street from the building when it was under construction and direct the work from there.