[Day 2] Our first visit to Blue House
Lomo LC-A @ Wan Chai, Hong Kong
The building was originally the first hospital 'Wah To Hospital' (aka "Wan Chai Kai Fong Hospital"), which was built in the 1870s in Wan Chai. The hospital provided Chinese medical services to local Chinese. It was possibly the first hospital in the district.
After the hospital closed in 1886, the 2-storey building was then used as a temple for Wah To (華陀廟), the revered Chinese physician from the Three Kingdoms period.
The building was demolished around late 1910s or early 1920s. It was turned into four 4-storey tenement blocks in mid 1920s. The building was subsequently used as a martial arts school in the 1950s by Lam Cho 林祖, the nephew of Lam Sai Wing 林世榮 (one of the followers of Wong Fei Hung 黃飛鴻), and as an osteopathy clinic in the 1960s.
The construction was acquired by the Government in the 1970s, and the outer walls painted blue, and was thus named the Blue House