Welcome to Fairlawn Mansion & Museum. Fairlawn was built as the home of Martin Pattison who lived here with his wife Grace and six children. Pattison, a wealthy lumber and mining baron, envisioned Fairlawn as a home befitting his success. Construction began in 1889 and was completed in 1891 for a cost of $150,000.
The 42 room mansion is built in the popular Queen Anne Victorian style of architecture. The proud four story turret makes Fairlawn a familiar landmark along Harborview Parkway. Other classic features of the Queen Anne style include the home’s prominent porch, steeply gabled roof, and the use of contrasting colors and textures on the exterior trim.
Following Martin’s death in 1918, Grace Pattison donated Fairlawn to the Superior Children’s Home and Refuge Association to be used as an orphanage. Approximately 2000 children called Fairlawn home during the 42 years it was a children’s home, from 1920-1962.