Allihies Copper Mine
"Copper mining at Allihies started here in 1812 by John Puxley, a local landlord, after the large quartz promontory to the left here was identified as copper bearing as can be seen by its bright Malachite staining.
. The remains of this building with the base of the chimney can be seen across the road.There is also evidence of a steam powered stamp engine to the left of the chimney and dressing floors in front of the engine house.
This is one of six productive mines in the Allihies area and continued its operation until 1838 when it closed due to failing ore."