The Lake Apopka North Shore is a true diamond in the rough. The restoration of former muck farms has transformed this area into a haven for wildlife and a jewel for the recreating public. The 20,000 acres that make up the Lake Apopka North Shore, were once part of the lake itself. However, these valuable wetlands were separated from the lake in 1941 by a large levee. This decreased the size of Lake Apopka from more than 50,000 acres, to just over 30,000 acres. Lake Apopka is the state’s fourth-largest lake and is fed by a natural spring, rainfall and stormwater runoff. The headwaters of the Ocklawaha Chain of Lakes, the lake was designated for cleanup under the Surface Water Improvement and Management Act of 1987.