Edna E. Lockwood: Historic Photos
Edna E. Lockwood, a National Historic Landmark, and the sailing log-bottom bugeye, built in 1889 by John B. Harrison of Tilghman Island. Just as Native American dugout canoes were formed by carving out one log, a bugeye’s hull is constructed by pinning together a series of logs and hollowing them out as a unit. She was donated to CBMM in 1967 by John R. Kimberly.

The nine logs making up the historic bugeye’s hull are in need of replacement, with the restoration project planned to begin in late 2015. Just as Native American dugout canoes were formed by carving out one log, this bugeye’s hull is constructed of a series of pinned logs shaped and hollowed out as a unit.

Through philanthropic support, the Museum anticipates beginning this restoration in 2016.
13 photos · 293 views