S&H Green Stamps
S&H Green Stamps (1896-1981)
S&H Green Stamps (also called Green Shield Stamps) were a form of trading stamps popular in the United States between the 1930s and late 1980s. They formed a rewards program operated by the Sperry and Hutchinson company (S&H), founded in 1896 by Thomas Sperry and Shelly Hutchinson. During the 1960s, the rewards catalog printed by the company was the largest publication in the United States and the company issued three times as many stamps as the U.S. Postal Service. Customers would receive stamps at the checkout counter of supermarkets, department stores, and gas stations among other retailers, which could be redeemed for products in the catalog.
S&H Green Stamps had a number of competitors, including Triple S Stamps (offered by Grand Union Supermarkets), Blue Chip Stamps, and Plaid Stamps (a project of A&P Supermarkets).