FRUIT TABLE LAMP TIFFANY 1900-1910 POSTCARD
Fruit Table Lamp Loaded Favrile glass Tiffany Studios, New York.
Photo: J. Alistair Duncan Ltd.
Tiffany glass is the generic name used here to describe the many and varied types of glass developed and produced from 1878 to 1933 at the Tiffany Studios, by Louis Comfort Tiffany. However, it is his head designer until 1909, Clara Driscoll, who is the person now recognized as the real creator of the finest of the leaded glass Tiffany Lamps. They are now both remembered as the most famous stained glass artists of the United States and possibly the world at that time.
In 1865, Tiffany traveled to Europe and in London he visited the Victoria and Albert Museum, whose extensive collection of Roman and Syrian glass made a deep impression on him. He admired the coloration of medieval glass and was convinced that the quality of contemporary glass could be improved upon.