Wilton Castle 1
Wilton Castle was the Alcock family home since 1695. Colonel Harry Alcock inherited the castle in 1840 and restored it adding a square tower built of Mount Leinster granite and laying out fine lawns. In 1893 the property went to his nephew Philip Clayton Alcock the last of the family to live in the parish.
Wilton Castle was destroyed by fire in 1923 during Civil War times. A group of men using tins of petrol reduced the castle to ashes on the night of March 5th 1923. Wilton was unoccupied at the time but was in the hands of a caretaker. He and the steward (Mr George Windsor) tried to dissuade the men to no avail, but managed to save some of the furniture.
It is now almost 80 years since the destruction of the castle and the ruins still hang there, the once beautiful gardens are no more. Wilton is now a townland holding the memories of many historic years. The vast estate once covered much of the parish of Bree and for centuries the majority of the Bree population were tenants of the Alcock family. Generations of people have been deprived of knowing the beauty and gracefulness of Wilton Castle in its true splendour.
Wilton Castle is currently undergoing redevelopment.