Egyptian Theatre - Hollywood, California
Sid Grauman's first Hollywood movie palace. Designed by architects: Meyer and Holler and opened in 1922. Run by Fox movie houses in 1927. MGM ran it in 1944. From 1949-1992 United Artists ran the show. The building was closed in 1992 and heavily damaged in the Northridge earthquake of 1994. After the quake, the City of Los Angeles sold the theatre to American Cinematheque for $1.00. The theatre was given new life and continues operating today.