new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white

Turkey - Kayaköy 2008

Once a thriving Greek village, this town of over one thousand houses, two churches, fourteen chapels, and two schools, was completely deserted in 1923 when the 25,000 Greek inhabitants living there, along with more than a million other Greeks living throughout Turkey were repatriated to Greece through a massive government mandated population exchange between the two countries following the Greek war of independence.

206 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on November 5, 2008