Australia - Melbourne - 2007
Art deco - Moderne building at 199 Queens Parade, Clifton Hill. It was originally the third building on the site for the United Kingdom hotel, but now clearly the big M. It is described in heritage documentation as a two-storey polychromatic brick building with a glazed terracotta tiled tower and curved cantilevered concrete balconies.
The site was orginally the United Kingdom hotel with previous buildings in 1880 and 1910. The present building was designed by JH Wardrop (also Alkira House - see www.flickr.com/photos/c-j-b/2313875771/ ) and built by Hansen & Yuncken in 1937-38.