Old 6167 in John Galt Park - Guelph
Built in 1940, Locomotive 6167 was one of 203 “Northern” locomotives used by Canadian National Railways (CN) for passenger and freight service. No. 6167 was based in the Moncton, New Brunswick area and, during the Second World War, it hauled troops and supplies to the eastern ports.
On July 6, 1943 at 3:18 p.m., 6167 was involved in a full-speed head-on collision with Locomotive 6166, killing three and injuring many others. Damage to 6167 was extensive but, due to a critical war-time shortage of locomotives, it was repaired and continued in service until 1960, when CN replaced all of its steam engines with diesel engines.
Most photographed locomotive
No. 6167 was given a new lease on life when CN repurposed the locomotive for special excursion trips. Between 1960 and 1964, it carried about 40,000 passengers on popular pleasure trips throughout Ontario, becoming known as Canada’s “most photographed locomotive.”