new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Tally's Phonograph Parlor - 1898 | by Origins of Business
Back to photostream

Tally's Phonograph Parlor - 1898

1896 - Thomas L. Tally opened Phonograph Parlor on Spring St. in Los Angeles (above in 1898) - storefront arcade with phonographs and machines through which viewers could see "moving pictures" through a device which flipped through a series of still photographs on cards; 1902 - opened "The Electric Theater" in the back of the Parlor, first permanent movie theater in the U.S. designed specifically for exhibition of films.

(content.cdlib.org/xtf/data/13030/ gw/ft3q2nb2gw/figures/ ft3q2nb2gw_00025.jpg)

1,457 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on April 2, 2008