Fire House c.1850. Black Creek Pioneer Village. Toronto, Canada
Original Location: Farm in Keele Street & Steeles Avenue area.
This small shed might have served any storage or workshed purpose on the farm. During a time when fire halls were created and manned by volunteers it is quite appropriate that such a building might become the shelter for the little pumper. The 1837 fire pumper housed within this building was used to fight fires in Toronto for almost 4 decades. Built of solid mahogany, it was given to the City of Toronto by the British America Assurance Company and was operated by a brigade of volunteers. Using water poured in the top or suctioned from a nearby water supply the pumper, with 5 or 6 men on each side, pumping 60 to 70 strokes per minute, could produce a 1 inch stream that could be delivered to a height of 75 feet. Opened to the public in 1968.