Lighthouse & Palm Trees

The Umhlanga Lighthouse was completed on November 24, 1954 and has since become an area landmark. The circular concrete tower, painted white with a red band at the top, stands 21m above the beach and has a focal plane height of 25m. The fixed red light enable a ship waiting to anchor in the outer anchorage to monitor its position if the red light can be seen, it suggests the ships anchors have probably dragged and is too close to shore.

3,129 views
6 faves
2 comments
Taken on November 16, 2006