The Sather Gate
On our way back to San Francisco we decided to stop in Berkeley to have a look at the famous university campus.
This photo shows the Sather Gate, a prominent landmark separating Sproul Plaza from the bridge over Strawberry Creek. It was completed in 1910 and donated by Jane K. Sather, a benefactor of the university, in memory of her late husband Peder Sather, a trustee of the College of California. (Interestingly, Peder Sather was born in Norway - as Sæther).
Originally, the gate served as the terminus of Telegraph Avenue, and marked the University's south entrance. The circle in front of the gate served as a turning point for the trolleys coming from Oakland. The University later expanded further south of Strawberry Creek, and the gate is now well separated from Berkeley's city streets by Sproul Plaza.