Quadriga on Brandenburger Tur
Atop the Brandenburger Tor is a Quadriga (a chariot drawn by four horses abreast) with the goddess Viktoria at the helm. The Quadriga currently faces East but that hasn't always been the case.
After the 1806 Prussian defeat at the Battle of Jena-Auerstedt, Napoleon took the Quadriga to Paris. After Napoleon's defeat in 1814 and the Prussian Parisian occupation, the Quadriga was restored to Berlin. But now facing west and with Viktoria's olive wreath exchanged for the Iron Cross, so that she became Nike, the goddess of victory!
ln August 1961, when the Berlin Wall was erected, the Quadriga was again turned toward the East.