The Changing Face of Bristol - Finzels Reach
2010 - At Finzels Reach, the cranes are back. Four of them, winching steel rods high over the Bristol skyline, swinging huge panels into place. What was once a Victorian brewery is being reborn as riverside apartments and 110,000 square foot of offices.
Bristol Harbour Georges’ Brewery (later Courage’s). There was a brewery on this site from the mid-18th century, run from 1788 by Philip George and his family.
Next to it was Conrad Finzel’s sugar refinery, the largest of many in Bristol, which finally closed in 1881. The refinery sprawled around the corner as far as St Philips Bridge, but part of it was redeveloped in 1900 to create the tall red-brick building. This was the Bristol Tramways generating station, where the power for Bristol’s tram network was created. In 1940, the bridge was bombed, cutting off the supply to the whole network and putting an end to the trams.
See Photo Links Below