G.B. Britton, South Gloucestershire
G.B. Britton, South Gloucestershire, is perhaps one of the most famous firms left in the area (now closed). The company was founded in 1875 by Bryant and Britton.
In the 1950's they introduced the process of vulcanising the one-piece rubber sole to the leather upper of the shoe, which gave the combination of strength and protection with lightness and flexibility. The process was a great success for them, but for others it tolled the bell of doom.
Those firms which would not or could not introduce this system went out of production. Founded as GB Britton in 1876 this famous old boot and shoe manufacturer closed its doors for the last time in Dec 2001 It was the end of the boot-trade and a two hundred year history in the Kingswood area.