St Mary's Church, Studley Royal
The magnificent St Mary's Church is one of the finest examples of High Victorian Gothic Revival architecture in England. It was designed in the 1870s by the flamboyant architect William Burges. Set within Studley Royal Park, a World Heritage Site which also includes the ruins of Fountains Abbey, the church has been called Burges's 'ecclesiastical masterpiece'.
The church was built by the Marquess and Marchioness of Ripon following a tragic family death in 1870. Its extravagantly decorated interior is influenced by 13th century English Gothic styles and displays coloured marble, stained glass, a splendid organ, and painted and gilded figures in all their original glory.
St Mary's Church is own by English Heritage and managed by the National Trust.