Chamberlain Clock and the Rose Villa Tavern, Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham UK
View from Warstone Lane shows the Chamberlain Clock and the Rose Villa Tavern in Hockley, Birmingham, England.
The Chamberlain Clock is the most visible and perhaps memorable of the many historic landmarks and interesting features to see in the Jewellery Quarter. This fine clock tower, located centrally at the junction of the districts main streets (Vyse St, Warstone Lane & Frederick St.), was erected in 1903 in honour of one of Birmingham's favourite sons & most respected public servants, Joseph Chamberlain, MP for the area in the late 1900's.
Chamberlain lived in the Jewellery Quarter for a while, on Frederick Street. In addition to the great work he did for the city of Birmingham, Chamberlain also championed the jewellers cause, especially in his campigning work to abolish Plate Duties - a tax affecting jewellery tradesmen of the time.
The Chamberlain Clock has recently been restored to its original glory after falling into a state of disrepair, having stood in its original condition for over 80 years. In the 1980's the clock tower was refurbished and repaired and now stands, proud and tall again at the heart of the Jewellery Quarter.
Rose Villa Tavern.
Right in the heart of Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter sits The Rose Villa Tavern, built in 1919-1920 for Michells & Bulter by their favoured architects, Wood & Kendrick, costing £15,000 (£535,000 in today’s money). Wood & Kendrick’s other impressive works included The Cross Buildings in Newtown, South Wales and The Pavilion in Dartmouth Park, Sandwell.
Taking inspiration from late Victorian and Edwardian ornate public houses but in keeping with the simpler, more modern architecture of this inter-war period the building is a perfect example of its time. The interior however displays the exquisite attention to detail and design that was most popular at the turn of the century. The splendid tile work by Carters of Poole is a predominate mix of dark green and cream. In the snug bar the tile work is floor to ceiling and incorporates an inglenook style fireplace.
Carters of Poole (who later became Poole Pottery) produced much of the ceramic tiling used in London tube stations in the 1930s. Much of their work still stands today; a great example of this is in Bethnal Green tube station.
The windows are beautifully designed leaded stained glass that allows so much light into the bar.