Lana Turner's car is in the shop
1941 Chrysler Newport Dual Cowl Phaeton
MODEL Newport Dual Cowl Phaeton
BUILT BY Chrysler Corporation Detroit, Michigan
BODY BY Le Baron
ENGINE 8 Cylinder, 137 H.P.
DISPLACEMENT 323.5 Cu. In.
The Chrysler Newport, one of the last dual cowl phaetons, was designed by Ralph Roberts and custom-built by LeBaron, Carrossiers in Detroit, Michigan. The car featured an all-aluminum body, concealed headlamps, folding windshield and hide-away top. There were a total of six Newports constructed by Chrysler as show vehicles and four are known to exist today. One of the Newports was selected as the 1940 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car. This was the first and still the only time a non-production car has been used in this event.
The owner of the car displayed here was millionaire playboy Henry J. "Bob" Topping, former husband of Lana Turner. Topping customized the car by substituting a Cadillac engine and transmission for the Chrysler components. He also personalized the car by having his name cast into the hubcaps and engine valve covers and adding his initials to the grill.