Gideon Morgan House - Kingston, TN
According to a historic marker located inside the old county courthouse museum next to a painting of this home:
This beautiful home, which stands on the corner of Cumberland and Kentucky streets, directly across from the historic Roane County Courthouse, is the oldest house in Roane County.
Gideon Morgan, a patriot in the Revolutionary War from Massachusetts, was born in 1751 and arrived in Kingston in 1808. He built the house between 1811 and 1813 and opened an "ordinary" which was a combination of a public house, hotel, general store, and livery stable. This home served in this capacity for years during the early days of Kingston and later as a private home.
It was aquired by William B. Ladd in 1936 in poor condition and was completely restored. It has been lovingly maintained by Ladd's daughter, Mildred Ladd Delaney and her husband Robert Delaney for many years. The home was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.