de young's chronicle building
Seen partially reflected in the previous shot, the de Young's San Francisco Chronicle Building at 690 Market St has an even more chequered history than his rival Hearst's Examiner Building opposite.
Constructed in 1889 it was designed by Chicago architects Burnham and Root in the Richardson Romanesque style. At the time its earthquake resistant metal frame and 10 storeys were both firsts in San Francisco. Originally there was a four story bronze clock tower on the corner above the oriel bay but this was destroyed by celebratotry skyrockets in 1905. Although the building survived the 1906 earthquake it was badly damaged by fire and was rebuilt by Willis Polk.
In 1924 the Chronicle moved to a new HQ on Mission St and the building had a series of other users and in 1962 the oriel bay was removed and the whole building reclad in white enamel to give it a more modern appearance.
In more recent years the building has been restored (including re-building the oriel) and converted to luxury residences by the Ritz Carlton Club. Although the 60s cladding was stripped off to reveal the original brick an ugly concrete clad tower has been added above and behind - fortunately hidden in this shot.