The Old Traveller Building. After the alterations of the Rogers Building
File name: 08_02_000895
Box label: Commercial buildings: T
Title: The Old Traveller Building. After the alterations of the Rogers Building
Physical description: 1 print ; 5 1/2 x 4 3/4 in.
Subjects: Commercial facilities; Buildings
Notes: Image caption: It is now the site of the Worthington Building, the new home of the State Street Trust Company. On this site stood in 1650 the homestead of Elder Thomas Leverett, who settled in Boston in 1633, and was with John Cotton one of the first elders of the First Church. In 1709 the property was owned by Thomas MacCarty, and was known as MacCarty's Corner. Here Benjamin Russell in 1784 began the publication of the "Columbian Sentinel." The Rogers Buildings, erected about 1800, was one of the first brick blocks in Boston. It was sold in 1811 to James Harrison, who in turn sold it to Daniel Dennison Rogers, when the block was known as Rogers Buildings. In 1833 Henry B. Rogers, son of the former, sold it to Israel Thorndike, and it became known as Thorndike's Buildings. In 1838 Israel Thorndike sold it to the National Insurance Company, but it continued to be known as Thorndike's Buildings until the "Evening Traveller" took up its quarters here in 1851. It was known as the Old Traveller Building from December, 1851, to 1894, when it was torn down to make way for the present Worthington Building, which was built in 1895. The property from 1856 to 1884 was owned by Peter Chardon Brooks, or his estate. Mr. Roland Worthington purchased it in April, 1884.
Provenance: Acquired from Benton, June 1, 1965, 004
Statement of responsibility:
Location: Boston Public Library, Print Department
Rights: Rights status not evaluated.