DIY Grid Spot

    Newer Older

    My version of this thing, made using:
    - $5 gutter adapter (Home Depot)
    - $.50 bag of straws,
    - x-acto knife
    - a scrap of plywood to cut against
    - some cyanoacrylate (super glue) to hold everything in there.

    Fits Speedlight 580 EX II without modifying the gutter piece.

    Munroe Photography, Dennis Dixson, and 3 other people added this photo to their favorites.

    1. rocketdog85 62 months ago | reply

      im pretty new to photography n i havent seen ne thing like this before, what is it used for n do u have ne examples

    2. cyber-photography 62 months ago | reply

      This is a novel way to attach it to your flash. You should post this to the Strobist group.

      It's called a Grid Spot and it narrows the beam of light into a tight pattern. The longer the grid (straws) the tighter the spot. It also allows you to have the flash closer to the axis of the lens without flare as the light beam is narrow and the wide angles of light are kept out of the lens.

    3. JOE MARINARO [deleted] 62 months ago | reply

      I like the way you think...
      especially the way you share

    4. Dennis Dixson 58 months ago | reply

      It looks like it works pretty well based on your test shots.

    keyboard shortcuts: previous photo next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts