Whitefish Point Lighthouse
This lighthouse is located north of Paradise in Michigan's upper peninsual in the USA. The light was first lit in 1849 and shares the honors with the lighthouse at Copper Harbor for being the first lights on Lake Superior. It guards the entrance to Whitefish Bay which may be the only shelter a ship can reach to escape a furious Lake Superior storm. Whitefish Point is known as the Graveyard of Ships because more vessels have been lost here than in any other part of the lake. Literally hundreds of vessels, including the famed Edmund Fitzgerald, lie on the bottom of the bay and its approaches. This was gleaned from the following website . . . click on it for more information: www.exploringthenorth.com/whitefish/whitefish.html.