new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Starting the Second Batch | by Bobby8
Back to photostream

Starting the Second Batch

Replica stone statues being erected to replace the 18th century terracotta originals removed from the parapet of Blenheim Palace in the 1990s due to extreme weathering. Six replicas have been cast, three on each side of the north portico, with the restored originals being placed by the East and West collonades protected from the elements.

 

Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire is home to the 11th Duke of Marlborough and is the birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill. The Palace was built between 1705 and 1722 by John Vanbrugh and Nicholas Hawksmoor, with major input from Grinling Gibbons. Queen Anne gave the several thousand acre park at Blenheim to John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, with £240,000 to build himself a home as a reward for his military victory at the Battle of Blenheim in Bavaria in 1704. At the Battle of Blenheim (part of the war of the Spanish Succession), John Churchill defeated the army of the French King Louis XIV preventing him from taking over Europe.

 

www.blenheimpalace.com

 

Nimbus Conservation

 

Ridge Property & Construction Consultants

 

Nick Cox Architects

524 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on February 2, 2007